Squeeze out the Sugar

I'm a sugar fiend. I love anything sweet, has a sweet tooth and because I am plant based I seem to eat A LOT of carbs. Admittedly I avoid refined sugar, but carbs are carbs and the body breaks them down whatever type of sugar they are so I thought I'd try a snack that ticks my boxes; tasty, vegan, wholesome and lower in sugar. ROASTED NUTS!! These are a great snack anytime, but they would go nicely with a G&T or a beer. I also like the idea of these as a home made Christmas gift. These are easy, you don't have to endlessly stir or turn so here you go.

Salt & Vinegar Cashews

Preheat Oven to Fan 150, Gas 3

Pour 75ml malt vinegar over 200g of unsalted raw cashews (I made this with Balsamic and they were divine!!)Leave to soak for 30-40 minutes. Drain and stir through 2 tsp olive oil or Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil (I like @Yorkshireoil), Chilli oil works well too. Sprinkle over 1 tsp salt flakes and stir again. Spread the nuts out on a baking tray (I use baking parchment which makes transferring the cool nuts easy as I use the paper as a funnel into a jar.) Bake for 20 minutes until golden and shiny. Leave to cool on the sheet before serving or pop in an airtight jar. I haven't managed to keep these longer than a couple of days as they are so delicious but as long as you store them airtight, in a cool place out of sunlight I can't see why they wouldn't last a while.
Malt vinegar is not gluten free so use Apple Cider Vinegar instead as it is equally as tangy😄

Comments

Popular Posts